National Pizza Day is dedicated to appreciating pizza, a baked flatbread that is typically topped with tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. Pizza is believed to have been invented in Naples, Italy around the 10th century. It has grown to become one of the most popular foods in America.
In 1905, America’s first pizzeria, Lombardi’s, opened in New York. Since then, pizza consumption in America has increased greatly and many pizza chains, such as Pizza Hut, Domino’s and Papa John’s have emerged. The origin of National Pizza Day is not well understood although accounts of National Pizza Day began to emerge around the 2000s. It is celebrated annually on February 9th.
Here are some interesting facts about pizza:
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza at 36% of all pies ordered.
- Over 3 billion pizzas are sold in the USA each year. Add another 1 billion on frozen pizzas
- 17% of all US Restaurants are pizzerias.
- Antica Pizzeria, the first Pizzeria, opened in Naples, Italy, in 1738.
- Gennaro Lombardi, the first Pizzeria in the United States, opened in 1895 in New York City.
- Americans consume on average 23 pounds of pizza per person each year.
One of the best pizza deals isn’t at a restaurant but at the gym.
Planet Fitness is hosting “an epic carbs and cardio pizza, bagel and workout party” Sunday at its approximately 2,000 U.S. locations and everyone is invited, even if they’re not a member.
From 7 to 10 a.m., there will be free bagels, and from 4 to 7 p.m., there will be free pizza, while supplies last. Planet Fitness also is inviting anyone 18 and older to work out for free Sunday with valid photo ID.